Campaign and other signs in the right-of-way

Sign Graphic 2One of the most frequent questions we get here at the Road Services Division during election seasons has to do with the placement of political campaign signs.

King County regulates all signs on county-owned property, easements and unincorporated road right-of-way, and unpermitted signs are not allowed in these locations. The county may remove and dispose of any unpermitted signs posted on county-owned property, easements, or road right-of-way.

Political campaign signs may be displayed on private property with the property owner’s consent. If signs are posted on private property without permission, property owners can contact the campaign to ask to have the sign removed and advise the campaign about the error so it is not repeated. You can contact King County Elections at 206-296-VOTE (8683) and to get the campaign’s telephone number if it is not on the sign. The King County Road Services Division has no authority over signs posted on private property.

To file a formal complaint about damaged or stolen political campaign signs in unincorporated King County, contact the local King County Sheriff’s Office precinct, or the general number at 206-296-3311. It will be helpful to include such facts as license plate numbers, names, and witnesses to the theft. Do not call 911.

For more information visit:

King County Elections –
King County Sheriff’s Office precincts
Washington State Secretary of State
Washington State Public Disclosure Commission